Don’t ask, don’t get
Is it time for a change in your career? Even if you’re just beginning to think about it, talking to a recruitment firm can be an invaluable way to assess where you are, where you want to be, and how to get there.
Here are a few guidelines to bear in mind before you make the call.
- Do your research. Not all search firms are alike. At Ambit Search we specialize in finance and administration roles at mid-to-senior levels. So if you’re in hardcore IT, there are other firms that can help you. But if you’re looking to be the COO of an IT firm, we should talk. Ask your peers for their experiences with search firms.
- Make a list of the things you want to factor in to your decision. This could be anything from the size of the company, the industry, location, culture, working style and so on. When meeting with a search consultant, be honest and forthcoming. Don’t say you are open to one area if you really aren’t.
- The more context we have, the more we can do for you. If you need to pick up your kids every day at 6:00 PM, an hour-long daily commute isn’t going to work. If you’re in the middle of an Executive MBA and you are in class one day a week, we need to know.
- Keep an open mind about the process. Be sure to ask questions if you don’t understand what’s happening. Like anything new, there may be a bit of a learning curve, but don’t be afraid to ask. It’s your career and your life.
- Keep in touch. Don’t go silent on the search firm in mid-process. If you land somewhere, tell us. We will be happy for you and will want to watch your career progress. Don’t feel disloyal. You will want to keep the relationship for the future.
What a search firm can do for you
Working with a recruiter can be a positive experience on many levels. For one thing, it’s all about you.
- An executive search firm can assist you in determining what kind of roles you are qualified for and review different industries that you might enjoy.
- A search firm should be able to provide concrete resume advice. They see thousands of them and know what works and what doesn’t.
- They can help you prepare for interviews.
- They can help you plan your career. It’s good to have both a short term and long term plan.
- A good search firm can be a resource for you throughout your working life. Stay in touch, and one day, you may be the one hiring. It’s so much easier to work with someone who knows you and what matters to you.
Ready to work with a search firm?
Call Ambit Search at 416.703.5050 and ask for Joanne Elek, Managing Director.