Outplacement service? Use them.
If your previous employer has paid for an outplacement firm to help you find your next job, our best advice is to make full use of it. It’s never a waste of time.
Keep these tips in mind:
- Use the service for help in resume writing, interviewing, confidence building and networking.
- Work with them until you feel you’re getting nothing more out of it, or until your time is up.
- Set aside time to take a personal inventory of your career, your personal and professional goals and where you’re headed next. It’s one of the few times in life that you’re ever given time to just think and plan.
- Remember it’s all about you. If you don’t feel you have rapport with your personal consultant or identify another consultant that you can better relate to, ask to make the switch. Outplacement can be a career altering experience so you want to be sure to get the most out of it.
- If at the end of the outplacement term you feel there is more to be gained, you may wish to consider paying for a one-on-one coaching service.
“The outplacement firm will give you the tools. We can help you leverage those tools to find the perfect fit.”
Make the most of it
When you’re working with an outplacement service, remember:
- The outplacement firm is not responsible for finding you a job. They are there to provide you with the tools you’ll need.
- Outplacement services are usually scheduled in monthly increments. Be sure you know how much time you have to use their services. The clock starts ticking from the date you decide to participate. If you are given six months and don’t use their services during months two and three, you only have three months left. The months are consecutive and there is usually no opportunity to make it up.
- If you go once and never go back again, the outplacement firm will still consider that the services have been rendered. It’s up to you to take full advantage of what they offer.
Call Ambit Search at 416.703.5050 and ask for Joanne Elek, Managing Partner.