This position has been filled.
The media production industry is complex and increasingly international in scope. With literally hundreds of channels and streaming services to supply, demand is growing dramatically. While US-based companies continue to be a major player in the field, Canadian-owned and based companies are taking full advantage of this boom. In 2018, the Canadian Media Producers Association reported that production values in Canada rose by 6% from the previous year, up to $8.9B and there was a 19% increase in foreign investment in Canadian productions, up to $5.6B.
Our client, a global entertainment company based in Toronto that creates, produces and distributes premium content and brands for all platforms, and develops brands and IP for worldwide monetization. Capitalizing on ever-expanding markets and new platforms, they have grown exponentially through acquisitions and organic expansion.
Growth, however welcome, comes with its own set of challenges, particularly behind the scenes. Collaborating closely with the CFO, other senior finance and business leaders, the VP Finance will provide leadership and oversight for all aspects of the finance and accounting function for the organization, including consolidated financial and management reporting, supporting the acquisition process and overseeing payroll. This is a hands-on leadership role.
Key responsibilities include:
- Full responsibility for all aspects of financial reporting of actual results- profit & loss, balance sheet and cash flow – divisional, departmental and consolidated, internally and externally (shareholders, lenders and other financial partners) as well as regulatory and statutory requirements on a monthly and quarterly basis
- Support the CFO and senior management with accounting, management reporting, consolidations and financial and business analyses related to the company’s operations
- Oversee acquisition accounting and post-deal settlements, legal entity accounting, bank reporting, cash flow, debt management and integration of new acquisitions into accounting processes and systems.
- Spearhead the improvement, automation and documentation of complex and inefficient processes, procedures and internal controls as the business grows significantly
- Working across the finance function, oversee the implementation and maximization of Netsuite
- Coach and mentor an effective, motivated and committed Finance team, while fostering an environment of approachability, collaboration and professionalism
- Support accounting and systems integrations as the company grows exponentially
The ideal candidate brings the ability to influence senior management in a dynamic, complex and fast-paced environment, a strong strategic and creative-thinking mindset, exceptional communication skills and a passion for making things work better. Experience in the media/entertainment industry is an asset, but isn’t essential.
A CPA, CA designation is a must, along with 7-10 years’ experience in a leadership role within a rapidly-growing company, experience with complex consolidations and a proven track record of building relationships, leading a large, high-performing team, and experience implementing new systems and processes.